Lockdowns not enough to eradicate COVID-19: WHO

1 Min Read

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu, Director General of World Health Organisation, on Wednesday cautioned countries affected with Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) that lockdowns will not be enough to eradicate the virus from the world.

- Advertisement -

Although the nations have implemented lockdowns to reduce the spread of the virus, they need to plan additional measures urgently for eradicating it, he said.

- Advertisement -

Speaking on lockdown measures Ghebreyesu said, “We call on all countries who have introduced so-called lockdown measures, to use this time to attack the virus. You have created a second window of opportunity, the question is how will you use it?”

- Advertisement -

He added that the affected nations can avoid the economic and social restrictions brought about by lockdowns only by implementing “aggressive measures to find, isolate, test, treat and trace” COVID-19 suspects.

Several countries across the world have gone under lockdowns to contain the spread of COVID-19 which has infected over 4 lakh people worldwide, causing over 18,000 deaths. India went under a countrywide lockdown from Tuesday midnight for 21 days.

- Advertisement -

In India, 635 persons have so far tested positive, of whom 42 have been treated and discharged. There have been 13 across the country.

Share This Article