EC notice to BJP Bengal chief Dilip Ghosh on “repeat of Sitalkuchi” comments

He has been asked to respond within 10 AM Wednesday.

The Election Commission on Tuesday asked Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) West Bengal chief Dilip Ghosh to explain his comments on the Sitalkuchi killings. He has been asked to submit his response within 10 AM on Wednesday to the Election Commission.

On Sunday, April 11, Ghosh had said that “if anyone crosses the line, there will be a repeat of Sitalkuchi”, adding that the Central forces had not come to West Bengal to only “display their firearms” and were “using them too”, and anyone doubting the use of these firearms would “feel the heat”. He also said that the “naughty boys” had been shot at in Sitalkuchi. “Beware! Don’t cross the line. Some dushtu chhele (naughty boys) were shot at in Sitalkuchi. These naughty boys won’t stay in Bengal anymore. On April 17 (the next phase of election), the Central forces will continue to be on duty. If anyone crosses the line, then there will be a repeat of Sitalkuchi,” Ghosh had said.

The day before, during the fourth phase of polling in the state, four persons died as CISF personnel opened fire following an alleged clash as voting was under way in the Sitalkuchi assembly constituency. Trinamool Congress chief and Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee has termed the killings as “genocide”, and the party said all four were their supporters.

Earlier today, the EC banned BJP leader Rahul Sinha from campaigning for 48 hours. Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee has been banned from campaigning for 24 hours, and she is protesting the EC’s move by sitting on a dharna in Kolkata.

Comments
Loading...